Logistics and Certification Manager
Twin is an ethical trade organisation working with over 30 producer organisations representing 300,000 coffee, cocoa and nut farmers in 16 countries across Latin America, Africa and Asia. We trade and partner with like-minded businesses in Europe, Asia and the USA to grow the market for ethically sourced products.
We believe fair trade can benefit all actors in smallholder value chains. Twin works to link all actors in the value chain, fostering long-term, mutually beneficial trading relationships that promote economic development, environmental sustainability and gender equality in marginalised smallholder communities.
Main Purpose of the Job
To ensure that coffee, and cocoa are shipped in a timely and efficient manner and that logistics and shipping information is correctly recorded.
- Supply chain management knowledge;
- Spanish (essential), French (desirable);
- Competence in the use of IT tools including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Knowledge of international shipping logistics (preferably coffee) and contractual administration;
- Highly efficient and organised;
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality and common sense;
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills;
- Confidence to manage relationships with clients;
- Knowledge and commitment to Fair Trade;
- Knowledge in certification admin processes;
- Coffee quality interest and aptitude;
- Willingness to travel;
- Qualifications: Degree level minimum
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Delivering to Clients - coffee & cocoa
- Oversee and ensure most efficient shipment of coffee to clients;
- Prepare update to clients on shipment status;
- Develop and maintain relationship with key logistics counterpart at coffee client companies, shipping lines, warehouses and other service providers;
- Fulfil requests from customer regarding certification information;
- Meet every increasing demands for traceability of coffee by customers;
Quality and Innovation
- Identify and recommend any changes in shipping and logistics practices that may lead to cost savings and quality or environmental improvements;
- Define and improve logistics strategies for delivery of coffee from complex origins;
- Improve database and internal information program Caja;
- Contract administration;
- Invoicing and reports from warehouses and shipping agents;
- Contract releases and invoicing to customers;
- Advise traders on shipping situation, including delays and origin transport conditions;
- Negotiate rates with shipping lines and warehouses and maintain database of agreed rates;
- Liaise with Finance Officer to support prompt invoicing;
- Prepare and monitor insurance claims;
Certification - coffee, and cocoa
- Ensure appropriate certificates are received for all contracts;
- Ensure that organic and Fairtrade certification and Rainforest Alliance is up to date. Advise on any de-certifications or suspensions;
- Manage annual audits - Organic, FLO, RFA;
- Keep up to date with and comply with Organic legislation;
- Keep up to date with and comply with FLO matters including suspensions, decertification and communication with FLO/FTF (weekly check of Ecert portal);
- RFA - manage new chain of custody compliance, reporting and audit;
- Be aware of and informed about other certifications, eg Bird Friendly;
- Keep up to date with industry developments.
Key performance indicators
- Timeliness of shipping and delivery to customers;
- Information on delays provided to customers;
- Certification documents up to date;
- Successful execution of the annual audits;
- Monitoring and negotiating logistics rates such as warehousing or freights.
Holiday allowance: 25 days per year plus bank holidays and other statutory holidays
Salary: £28,000 - £30,000 depending on experience
Please send CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Interviews will be held on Thursday, September 22nd.
Other pro bono work
We welcome support from experts or professionals looking to share or develop their experience in fair trade and development.
We would also welcome help from communications and marketing professionals in developing our organisation’s profile and those of our members.
If you would like to donate your time and expertise to Twin pro bono please get in touch.